Yoga Meditation (108 OM)
What is OM?
What is 108 OM?
Why OM 108 times?
– OM is traditionally chanted at the beginning and end of yoga sessions
– OM is also written and pronounced AUM
– OM is a Mantra
– “Man,” means mind, “tra,” means transport or vehicle. Mantra is an instrument of the mind—a word, sound or vibration that is use to enter a deep state of meditation.
– The individual numbers 1, 0, and 8 represent one thing, nothing, and everything (infinity)
– 108 is considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga.
– Malas, or prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads.
– The number connects the Sun, Moon, and Earth: The average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters
– 108 degrees Fahrenheit is also the internal temperature at which the human body’s vital organs begin to fail from overheating
– Om vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz, which is the same vibrational frequency found throughout everything in nature.
– Om is known as the sound of silence and creation
– Calm and Stabilise the mind
– Improves Blood circulation
– Reduces Stress
– Improves Focus and Concentration
– Reduces Anxiety and Depression
– Relaxes Muscles
– Improves Nervous function
– Improves Digestive health
– Improves Perceptive
– Improve Work efficiency
– Improve Productivity
– More balanced, happier and satisfied in Life
– Enhance ability to make better decisions
– Lead to success, peace and joy in Life
108 OM was quite overwhelming for me. I felt my body getting warm and going beyond comfortable level as I have little endurance for heat I fidgeted. I took breaks in-between and continue to join the rest when I feel more stabilise. During discussion I found out chanting OM generates vibration that can be too much for individual like me with an active mind. I recall feeling suppressed and OM was too “loud” for my mind, like it’s forcing me to shut off thoughts. After the sharing session, I thought to myself maybe I should have endure the heat and push through to complete the 108 OM without stopping. I didn’t managed to achieve stillness and a personal breakthrough like my classmates did. We get hung up on such things sometimes. When I feel lousy about myself or something, I dive into thoughts of trying to figure things out or make myself feel better. Learning is an ongoing journey, nobody said it was easy.
Chanting only Om can have adverse effects if the person chanting is of a lower spiritual level as he may not have the capacity to tolerate the spiritual energy generated from the chant.